$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!
POLSKA УКРАЇНА - My - Polacy, ale żyjemy w Ukrainie

India Hikes Tariffs on US Goods Amid Deepening Trade Friction

India has hiked tariffs on 28 goods imported from the United States as a trade spat between the two countries intensifies.

The retaliatory move came days after Washington removed New Delhi from a list of countries that have preferential access to its market.

“India has put its cards on the table,” says trade expert Biswajit Dhar at Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi. “The U.S. has upped the ante and it is also threatening to take further action. This required India to respond.”

The trade spat has escalated ahead of a visit later this month to New Delhi by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo who has pushed India to allow American companies more access to its markets and to lower barriers.

FILE – A female laborer winnows almonds inside a small-scale factory unit in New Delhi, Jan. 15, 2011. India is by far the largest buyer of U.S. almonds.

Experts fear the growing tensions could cast a shadow over a deepening India-U.S. strategic partnership that aims at countering China’s growing influence.

The American goods that attract higher tariffs beginning Sunday include almonds, apples, walnuts, chickpeas and lentils, as well as some stainless steel products. New Delhi is the largest importer of U.S. almonds and the second largest buyer of apples. The total impact of the Indian tariffs is estimated to be about $240 million.

A shop in New Delhi sells almonds and walnuts, which are among the 29 U.S. products on which India has announced retaliatory tariffs starting August 4. India is the largest market for U.S. almonds. (A. Pasricha/VOA)

Increase deferred several times

The hike in duties by New Delhi was announced a year ago in retaliation for Washington’s imposition of higher tariffs on imported steel and aluminum, but deferred several times as both sides held talks to bridge their differences.

But India went ahead after the U.S. earlier this month imposed another punitive measure: removing New Delhi from a trade program to aid the economies of developing countries. Washington said the preferential status was revoked because India has failed to provide adequate access to its markets for U.S. firms. It will impact Indian imports worth $5.6 billion. New Delhi was the largest beneficiary of the Generalized Systems of Preferences program.

India’s commerce ministry has called the decision unfortunate.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo addresses the India Ideas Summit in Washington, June 12, 2019.

US markets

U.S. President Donald Trump has repeatedly named India as one of the countries that follow trade practices unfair to the United States. Washington wants New Delhi to address a trade imbalance, the $142 billion bilateral trade is skewed in New Delhi’s favor by about $30 billion.

Dhar says among the sticking points are the demands by Washington that India lower tariffs on dairy and poultry to encourage U.S. agricultural imports. But these are areas where New Delhi faces domestic challenges. 

“India is battling with this very large population of small and marginal farmers. It is very difficult for India to drop tariffs specially as we know U.S. agricultural products are being subsidized,” according to Dhar.

The United States is also concerned about recent rules that it says adversely impact the operations of its e-commerce companies such as Amazon and Walmart in India.

Even though the moves by New Delhi and Washington signal that each is taking a tougher stand, they could also push both sides to more serious negotiations to resolve their differences.

“We remain open to dialogue and hope that our friends in India will drop their trade barriers and trust in the competitiveness of their own companies, their own businesses, their own people,” Pompeo said at policy speech at the U.S. India Business Council in Washington on Thursday. He said that countries that have provided American companies access to their markets have seen “real opportunity.”

Pompeo will in New Delhi on June 25-26 to hold talks with his Indian counterpart. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and U.S. President Trump are also expected to meet on the sidelines of the G-20 summit in Japan later this month.
 

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Від мін на Донбасі за 5 років війни загинули 977 цивільних – МінТОТ

Ще 1528 людей зазнали поранень – міністр з питань тимчасово окупованих територій і внутрішньо переміщених осіб України

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Erdogan: Russian S-400s to Arrive in Turkey in July, NTV Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he expected Russian S-400 missile defense systems to start arriving in Turkey in the first half of July, broadcaster NTV reported Sunday, a development set to fuel tensions with NATO ally Washington.

The S-400s are not compatible with NATO’s systems and have been a growing source of discord between Turkey and the United States in recent months.

“We discussed the S-400 subject with Russia. Indeed the S-400 issue is settled,” Erdogan was cited as telling reporters on his plane returning from a visit to Tajikistan, where he attended a summit and met Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“I think they will start to come in the first half of July,” he added, giving a more specific forecast than he has in the past.

U.S. acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan this month outlined how Turkey would be pulled out of the F-35 fighter jet program unless Ankara changed course from its plans to buy the missile systems.

Erdogan said he would discuss the issue with U.S. President Donald Trump when they meet at this month’s G-20 summit.

“When someone lower down says different things, then we immediately make contact with Mr. Trump and try to solve issues with telephone diplomacy. Matters don’t take long there,” he said.
 

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

На Донбасі зазнав поранення один український військовий – штаб

Це сталося в перші години 16 червня – ООС

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

У центрі Києва стався вибух, жертв немає, розбирання завалів завершене – ДСНС

Пізно ввечері 15 червня, о 23:25, у Києві по вулиці Тургенєвська, 16, в одному з семи гаражів стався вибух, внаслідок чого зруйновано три гаражі, пошкоджено газопровід, вибито скло у вікнах поруч розташованих житлових будинків та пошкоджено чотири автомобілі. Жертв та постраждалих немає, інформує Державна служба України з надзвичайних ситуацій.

«Станом на 7:00 16 червня роботи із розбирання завалів завершені. До проведення робіт залучалося 70 людей та 9 одиниць техніки. Причини події встановлюються. На місці події працює оперативна група Головного управління ДСНС у Києві», – вказують рятувальники.

За квартал від місця, де стався вибух, розташована будівля Національного цирку України, ще ближче – офіси двох українських телеканалів, «Нового» та «Інтера».

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Homeowners Plant Trees to Help with Energy Conservation

Planting trees is Anka Meyer’s favorite hobby. She says there are so many reasons to love them. Trees bring life to her garden. This is the second year Meyer has participated in the Energy-Saving Trees program. VOA’s Faiza Elmasry reports.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

З початку доби бойовики 8 разів порушили режим припинення вогню – штаб

Від початку поточної доби, 15 червня, бойовики на Донбасі вісім разів порушили режим припинення вогню. Про це повідомили у штабі операції Об’єднаних сил.

«Збройні формування Російської Федерації обстрілювали позиції наших підрозділів із застосуванням заборонених Мінськими угодами мінометів калібру 120 мм та 82 мм, а також із гранатометів різних систем, великокаліберних кулеметів та стрілецької зброї», – мовиться у повідомленні.

Військові заявляють, що внаслідок обстрілів втрат у ЗСУ немає.

«На обстріли з боку збройних формувань Російської Федерації наші підрозділи дали адекватну відповідь, втрати противника уточнюються», – зазначили у штабі.

У збройних угрупованнях «ДНР» та «ЛНР» не звітували про перебіг бойових дій поточної доби.

Збройний конфлікт на Донбасі триває від 2014 року після російської окупації Криму. Україна і Захід звинувачують Росію у збройній підтримці бойовиків. Кремль відкидає ці звинувачення і заявляє, що на Донбасі можуть перебувати хіба що російські «добровольці».

За даними ООН, станом на кінець грудня 2018 року, за час конфлікту загинули близько 13 тисяч людей із усіх його боків, майже 30 тисяч – поранені.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

На Львівщині військовий випадково застрілив колегу – ДБР

Слідчі Державного бюро розслідувань вивчають обставини загибелі військовослужбовця однієї з військових частин Львівщини. Про це повідомили у ДБР 15 червня.

«За попередньою інформацією, 9 червня 2019 року військовослужбовець однієї із військових частин на Львівщині, порушивши правила поводження зі зброєю, необережно натиснув на спусковий гачок. Ці дії призвели до несанкціонованого пострілу та вогнепального поранення іншого військовослужбовця, котрий після отриманої травми помер в Яворівській районної лікарні», – мовиться у повідомленні.

Військовому повідомили про підозру у вчиненні кримінального правопорушення, передбаченого частиною 2 статті 414 (порушення правил поводження зі зброєю, а також із речовинами і предметами, що становлять підвищену небезпеку для оточення) Кримінального кодексу України.

11 червня до підозрюваного застосовано запобіжний захід у виді тримання під вартою. Досудове розслідування триває. У разі доведення вини, військовому загрожує покарання у вигляді позбавлення волі строком від 2 до 10 років.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.