Tired of waiting for your website to load? $1/ mo Hosting + Free domain!
POLSKA УКРАЇНА - Page 3 of 1241 - My - Polacy, ale żyjemy w Ukrainie

Asylum Seekers Stranded on Greek Islands Face Winter Death Threat

Winter could bring death to asylum seekers stranded on crowded Greek islands with only summer tents for shelter, aid groups said on Wednesday, urging a mass relocation to the mainland.

More than 10,000 people, mostly Syrians and Iraqis fleeing years of war, have massed on the Greek islands that lie closest to Turkey, since the European Union agreed a deal with Ankara in March 2016 to shut down the route through Greece.

Authorities say the terms of the agreement prevent them from traveling to the Greek mainland until their asylum applications are processed. Those who do not qualify are deported.

But this has forced thousands to live in squalid conditions unfit for humans, the 20 aid groups said in a joint statement.

“We are in a race against time. Lives will be lost ‘again’ this winter unless people are allowed to move, in an organized and voluntary fashion, to the mainland,” said Jana Frey, who leads Greek operations for the International Rescue Committee.

Exposure to bad weather is a key risk, along with overcrowding, lack of basic services and a reliance on dangerous and impromptu measures to keep warm, the groups said.

Last year, a 66-year old woman and 6-year-old child died in Lesbos after a cooking gas canister exploded in a tent.

“Nothing can justify trapping people in these terrible conditions on the islands for another winter,” said Eva Cosse, Greece researcher at Human Rights Watch.

The government has moved 2,000 people to camps on the mainland after the groups wrote an open letter to Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras last month, but conditions for those remaining on the island have since deteriorated, they said.

Crowded camps on Lesbos, Samos, and Chios are holding two to three times more people than they should, including single women and children, the aid workers said. Some women are also sharing tents with unrelated men, further jeopardizing their safety.

“European countries and Greece should urgently work together and move asylum seekers off the islands,” said Gabriel Sakellaridis, director of Amnesty International in Greece.

On Monday, residents on Lesbos went on strike, shutting businesses, shops, municipal offices and nurseries to protest against policies that they say have turned their island into a “prison” for migrants and refugees.

About 30,000 people have arrived in Greece this year, a fraction compared to the nearly 1 million who arrived in 2015. Greek authorities in London and Athens did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Reporting by Umberto Bacchi, Editing by Lyndsay Griffiths.

Tired of waiting for your website to load? $1/ mo Hosting + Free domain!

Finns Want to Look for Remains of Arctic Meteorite

The remains of a blazing meteorite that lit up the dark skies of the Arctic last week are believed scattered near a lake in northern Finland, amateur Finnish astronomers said Wednesday.

The Ursa astronomical association says their calculations show the parts would have crashed in a remote area near the Norwegian and Russian borders.

The meteorite – which Norwegian scientists said gave “the glow of 100 full moons” – was seen in northern Norway and Russia’s Kola peninsula on Thursday for about five seconds.

Marko Pekkola, a scientist with Ursa, said it likely landed in the wilderness almost 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) north of Helsinki. He believed it weighted between 100 kilograms and 300 kilograms (220 pounds and 660 pounds) before it entered the atmosphere, and flew at a speed of 30 kilometers per second (18.6 miles per second) – “in the low end for meteorites.”

Pekkola said the meteorite likely broke into pieces when it entered the atmosphere, producing a blast wave that felt like an explosion. The parts are believed to be spread over an area of about 60 square kilometers (24 sq. miles).

“We don’t know many pieces are out there, it is [exceptional] to find something,” Pekkola said. “I can say that finding one or two pieces is possible.”

The group says it wants to start searching for the remains, though it hasn’t set a date yet.

In 2013, a meteorite streaked across the Russian sky and exploded over the Ural Mountains with the power of an atomic bomb, its sonic blasts shattering countless windows and injuring about 1,100 people. Many were cut by flying glass as they flocked to windows, curious about what had produced such a blinding flash of light.

The 2013 Chelyabinsk meteorite was estimated to be about 10 tons when it entered the Earth’s atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 54,000 kph (33,000 mph). It shattered into pieces about 30-50 kilometers (18-32 miles) above the ground but some meteorite chunks were found in a Russian lake.

Tired of waiting for your website to load? $1/ mo Hosting + Free domain!

Suspected New York Bike Path Attacker Charged

A federal grand jury has returned a 22-count indictment against Sayfullo Saipov in the death of eight people killed during a truck attack on a bike path in New York City.

The Justice Department said Saipov was indicted Tuesday in a Manhattan federal court. He is charged with eight counts of murder, 12 counts of attempted murder, providing and attempting to provide material support to Islamic State, and violence and destruction of motor vehicles resulting in death.

Saipov, an Uzbek immigrant, was hospitalized after he was shot by a police officer. He was arrested after several people were run over by a vehicle Oct. 31 in a midday attack on a popular bike path.

“Consumed by hate and a twisted ideology, Sayfullo Saipov allegedly barreled down a pedestrian walkway and bicycle path on a sunny afternoon on the West Side of Manhattan, killing eight innocent people and injuring at least a dozen others,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Joon H. Kim for the Southern District of New York.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the truck attack, which was the deadliest assault on New York City since Sept. 11, 2001.

Tired of waiting for your website to load? $1/ mo Hosting + Free domain!

Trump Indicates Support for Moore in Alabama Senate Race

U.S. President Donald Trump all but endorsed embattled Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore on Tuesday, saying the former state judge “totally denies” allegations that he sexually molested underage girls years ago.

“I can tell you one thing for sure: We don’t need a liberal person in there, a Democrat,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

Moore’s opponent in the Senate race, Democrat Doug Jones, has a record that is “terrible on crime, it’s terrible on the border, it’s terrible on the military,” Trump said.

Trump said he would announce next week whether he will campaign on the Republican candidate’s behalf.

Moore’s campaign has been in turmoil since The Washington Post published a story detailing the accounts of three women who claimed he pursued them while they were teenagers and he was in his 30s. Three more women have since spoken out with allegations of their own.

Moore has adamantly rejected accusations of sexual abuse, but prominent Republicans, including House Speaker Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, and two former presidential candidates, Senator John McCain of Arizona and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, have called for him to end his candidacy.

Trump, himself the subject of sexual abuse allegations during his 2016 presidential campaign, which he said were false, had said little about the accusations against Moore until Tuesday. White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Monday that Trump thought it was “up to the people of Alabama who their next senator will be.”

But earlier, White House adviser Kellyanne Conway described Jones as a “doctrinaire liberal” who would vote against tax cuts the Trump administration is pushing Congress to adopt.

Asked whether the White House was asking people to vote for Moore, Conway deflected the question, but said, “I’m telling you we want the votes in the Senate to get this tax bill through.”

One of Moore’s accusers, Leigh Corfman, told NBC on Monday that it took her decades before she regained her sense of trust and confidence in herself after the 1979 encounter she alleges she had with him.

Now 53, Corfman said she was “a 14-year-old child trying to play in an adult’s world” but that she “didn’t deserve to have a 32-year-old man prey upon” her.

“I was expecting candlelight and roses; what I got was very different,” she said. “I felt guilty. I felt like I was the one to blame.

“I met him around the corner from my house — my mother did not know — and he took me to his home,” Corfman said. “After arriving at his home on the second occasion that I went with him, he basically laid out some blankets on the floor of his living room and proceeded to … seduce me, I guess you would say.”

Corfman’s accusations against Moore first appeared in the Post more than a week ago.

She told the newspaper that Moore took off her “shirt and pants and removed his clothes,” touched her over her bra and underpants and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear before she ended the encounter. She asked him to take her home, and he did.

Moore leads an expanding list of lawmakers accused of sexual misconduct. On Monday, the website BuzzFeed alleged that longtime U.S. Representative John Conyers, a Michigan Democrat, paid $27,000 to a woman who alleged that he’d fired her from his Washington staff after she rebuffed his sexual overtures.

Conyers, 88, at first denied the report, then on Tuesday he acknowledged the settlement, which he said he made to avoid protracted litigation. But he continued to deny he had sexually harassed the woman.

Ryan, the leader of the majority Republicans in the chamber, called the allegation “extremely troubling. People who work in the House deserve and are entitled to a workplace without harassment or discrimination.”

Leaders of the House Ethics Committee said they were opening an investigation into the allegations, including whether Conyers had used official resources for impermissible personal purposes. Conyers said he would fully cooperate.

Tired of waiting for your website to load? $1/ mo Hosting + Free domain!

US Senator: Myanmar Crisis Bears ‘All the Hallmarks’ of Ethnic Cleansing

A United States Senate delegation to Myanmar said Tuesday that the crisis in the Rakhine state “has all the hallmarks of ethnic cleansing.”

“Many refugees have suffered direct attacks including loved ones, children and husbands being killed in front of them, wives and daughters being raped, burns and other horrific injuries. This has all the hallmarks of ethnic cleansing,” Senator Jeff Merkley, an Oregon Democrat, told a press conference at the U.S. embassy in Yangon.

Merkley told reporters that the U.S. Congressional delegation has urged Myanmar’s government to implement the recommendations of the Kofi Annan-led Rakhine Advisory Commission, and to allow the UN and other NGOs access to the troubled region to provide humanitarian assistance.

Tillerson has concerns

In Washington, the U.S. State Department is considering whether to officially designate the conflict as ethnic cleansing.

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visited Myanmar last week and expressed concern over “credible reports of widespread atrocities committed by security forces and vigilantes.”

Pope set to visit

The Pope is slated to visit Myanmar from Nov. 27-30, where he is expected to meet with the country’s de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Merkley is joined on the delegation by four Democrats: U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois and U.S. Representatives Betty McCollum of Minnesota, Jan Schakowsky of Illinois and David Cicilline of Rhode Island. The Senators and Representatives met with government officials and affected populations in the region, and highlighted the ongoing humanitarian crisis and urgent need for international action to bring an end to the violence.

VOA Burmese and Thet Su Naing contributed to this report

Tired of waiting for your website to load? $1/ mo Hosting + Free domain!

СММ ОБСЄ повідомила про військову техніку біля колишнього управління МВС України в окупованому Луганську

У Спеціальній моніторинговій місії ОБСЄ заявили, що зафіксували у вівторок «машини військового типу і присутність озброєних осіб» біля будівлі колишнього управління МВС України в окупованому бойовиками Луганську.

«Крім того, патруль СММ зафіксував колону машин у складі не менш ніж 6 вантажівок військового типу, 2 бронетранспортерів, 1 встановленої зенітної установки (ЗУ-23), а також понад 20 цивільних автомобілів без номерних знаків щонайменше з 50 озброєними особами на автошляху поблизу Дебальцева Донецької області. Подібна (ймовірно та сама) колона, що рухалася в напрямку Луганська, була згодом зафіксована іншим патрулем СММ у селі Весела Тарасівка (15 кілометрів на захід від Луганська)», – йдеться в повідомленні спостерігачів на сторінці у Facebook.

На сторінці місії розміщені фото БТРів та вантажних військових машин з тентами, які вдалося зафіксувати спостерігачам.

Пізно ввечері у вівторок в Адміністрації президента України повідомили, що через загострення ситуації в окремих районах Луганської області Петро Порошенко скликав позачергове засідання воєнного кабінету РНБО. В офіційних повідомленнях за підсумками цього засідання йшлося про те, що кабінет обговорював «незаконний перетин російськими танками українського кордону у Краснодонському районі Луганської області».

Упродовж 21 листопада з окупованого проросійськими бойовиками Луганська надходили повідомлення про те, що місто заповнене великою кількістю осіб у формі без розпізнавальних знаків. За попередніми даними, це стало наслідком «конфлікту» між ватажком «ЛНР» Ігорем Плотницьким і так званим «міністром МВС» угруповання «ЛНР» Ігорем Корнетом, якого Плотницький усунув напередодні з «посади».

Ресурси сепаратистів повідомляли, що Корнет заперечив свою відставку і заявив про зумисну дискредитацію так званого «МВС» угруповання «ЛНР» людьми з оточення Плотницького. На сайтах бойовиків Корнет також поширив відео, в якому заявив, що під його керівництвом вдалося запобігти проникненню в Луганськ «диверсійно-розвідувальної групи для здійснення терористичних актів».

Ватажок «ЛНР» Ігор Плотницький на своєму сайті заявляв, що ситуація в Луганську «під його контролем і найближчим часом буде повністю вирішена». Водночас речник МВС України Артем Шевченко, з посиланням на власні джерела, повідомив у соцмережі, що Плотницький виїхав до Росії.

Tired of waiting for your website to load? $1/ mo Hosting + Free domain!

На Дніпропетровщині перепоховають двох загиблих бійців, ідентифікованих за допомогою ДНК

На Дніпропетровщині перепоховають солдата 40-го окремого мотопіхотного батальйону «Кривбас» Сергія Конопацького, загиблого при виході з «іловайського котла», у так званому «зеленому коридорі» на дорозі біля села Чумаки. Про це у вівторок повідомив екс-куратор батальйону, депутат Криворізької міської ради Микола Колесник.

Як уточнив Колесник в коментарі Радіо Свобода, 41-річний боєць загинув 29 серпня 2014 року під час бою. У вересні 2014 року його тіло було привезене до Запоріжжя волонтерами-пошуковцями. Він був похований як невідомий солдат на цвинтарі в Запоріжжі.

Ідентифікувати загиблого вдалось за допомогою ДНК-експертизи.

Перепоховання бійця відбудеться на батьківщині, у селі Широка Дача Широківського району 24 листопада.

Окрім того, як поінформував Микола Колесник, 23 листопада у Кам’янському перепоховають 25-річного старшого солдата батальйону «Кривбас» Олега Павлюка, який загинув у бою під Дебальцевим у лютому 2015 року. Його ідентифікували за допомогою ДНК, тіло також було поховане у Запоріжжі.

«Так співпало, що обоє бійців загинули в «котлах» – Дебальцеве й Іловайськ. Два «котли», і обидва пройшли «Кривбас». Обидва вважались безвісти зниклими», – зазначив Микола Колесник.

За його словами, це ще не всі бійці батальйону «Кривбас», які вважаються безвісти зниклими, щодо кількох із них є підтвердження того, що вони перебувають у полоні бойовиків. Рідні зниклих безвісти часто вагаються, перш ніж здати ДНК-тест, зазначив Микола Колесник.

«Часто, коли є безвісти зниклі і перший тест ДНК співпадає, то цим першим тестом не обмежуються. Зазвичай тест роблять двічі, а то і тричі, рідні не хочуть втрачати надію. Скільки ще таких могил і у Дніпрі, і в Запоріжжі… В основному це загиблі в 2014-2015 роках», – сказав Радіо Свобода Микола Колесник.

Загалом з початку бойових дій на Донбасі на Дніпропетровщині за допомогою ДНК-експертизи встановлено понад 300 загиблих учасників АТО. За офіційними даними, зараз на Краснопольському цвинтарі під Дніпром поховано понад 100 невпізнаних бійців. Робота зі встановлення їхніх осіб триває. 

Tired of waiting for your website to load? $1/ mo Hosting + Free domain!

UN Tribunal to Decide Fate of ‘Butcher of Bosnia’ Mladic

United Nations judges in The Hague will decide within hours on a verdict in the trial of former Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic, who is accused of war crimes stemming from the conflict in the former Yugoslavia during the 1990s.

Mladic, known as the “Butcher of Bosnia,” is the last former military leader to face war crimes charges in the court, which was set up to deal with the aftermath of the Bosnian war that raged from 1992 through 1995.

Mladic, who has been on trial since 2012, has been charged with 11 counts of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity for his alleged role in leading sniper campaigns in Sarajevo and the 1995 killings of more than 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica — the worst massacre in Europe since World War II.

Prosecutors have asked the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia to sentence Mladic to life in prison. Last year, attorney Alan Tieger said anything less than a life sentence would be “an insult to the victims, living and dead, and an affront to justice.”

Mladic’s defense lawyer, Dragan Ivetic, has accused prosecutors of seeking to make the former general a “symbolic sacrificial lamb for the perceived guilt” of all Serbs during the war. He called for Mladic, 75, to be acquitted on all charges.

At the end of the war in 1995, Mladic went into hiding and lived in obscurity in Serbia, protected by family and elements of the security forces.

Mladic was indicted for genocide and crimes against humanity but evaded justice for 16 years. He was eventually tracked down and arrested at a cousin’s house in rural northern Serbia in 2011.

The Bosnian Serbs’ political leader, Radovan Karadzic, was found guilty of war crimes in March 2016 and sentenced to 40 years in prison.

The U.N. tribunal is scheduled to initiate proceedings to deliver the verdict Wednesday.

Some information for this report was provided by AP.

 

Tired of waiting for your website to load? $1/ mo Hosting + Free domain!